Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Every Night

Shooting everyday moments also means shooting every night moments too. Ours usually revolves around bedtime snacks. Since last night was watermelon, I took the time to snap a few shots.

Shooting indoors can be tricky. Shooting indoors at night can be near impossible. But, since I'm a tenacious gal, I have come up with a few tried and true techniques I use to get the job done. A few of which I am sharing today at Shutter Sisters.

This first shot came straight out of the camera.



This second version is my idea of a small tweak that makes for a much better shot all around.



All I had to do was dial out a little yellow/add a little blue, dial out a smidge of red/add a little green and boost the contrast a tad. A 10 second fix that improves the shot and makes it a keeper. Don't ya think?

15 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

thank you for the indoors shooting tip :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent tip! I've muddled around with my indoor night shots and get the same results as your "out of the camera" version. Thanks for the tip Tracey, I'll be using this one for sure.

Jamie said...

I just read your article on shutter sisters...great tips! I am learning so much from you lovely ladies :)

Amy said...

O most definitely makes a HUGE difference!!!

Rose said...

l have to pop over there after soccer and read it. I tend to do a lot of evening shots and do a bit of color tweaking in Lightroom because I just can't stand flash. I admit though, sometimes I like the warm orange glow the picture emits.

pakosta said...

amazing what you did!
love it!
tara

Angie said...

I appreciate your Shutter Sisters post. And your after definitely draws a lot more attention to your daughter's face. Thank you for sharing!

Kate said...

Oh love it!! What a shot....

Heather said...

May I ask what program you use? I'm finding iPhoto doesn't do quite enough for me. Or I just don't know all it's tricks.

Cara said...

Definitely! I usually hate to take pictures indoors at night, they never look good. Now I am going to revisit some to see what I can do. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

That is a cool trick!

tracey clark said...

Thanks everyone! Heather, I use Adobe Lightroom which I love mixed with Photoshop Elements.
But, I used to use Picassa and loved it-have you tried that?
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing that you know the color looks off but when you do the before and after it is a major difference.

Thanks for the indoor lighting tips.
an area I struggle in. My house has bad lighting everywhere, watching it today no good light at any time of day.

Busymomma66 said...

I just LLOOVVEE Photoshop! Every little trick I store away and play everychance I get.

Anonymous said...

I do this too...little tweaks. I like to call it 'sweetening' ;) Beautiful photo, btw!